Let’s be honest–saying ‘no’ is one of the hardest things about being healthy. It’s understood that the end result is worth it, but in that moment when something is available, it’s difficult to resist.
Last night, I went grocery shopping with my sister and cousin. My sister knows about my return to a healthy lifestyle, but my cousin does not. This cousin started suggesting a lot of foods that would sabotage everything I’m trying to achieve. Thankfully, I was able to stay strong and tell her that those things would not be bought. I felt good. I haven’t felt like this since March. I feel like I finally slayed a major demon of mine. Mind over matter has never meant more than in those moments. Of course, if we stumble or even fall, it’s okay. I refuse to beat myself (or a workout buddy) up over a small lapse. The way I see it, it’s all about coming back better and stronger than ever. Eventually, it does get easier. Instead, I bought the things in the following picture:
Keep reading to see what I bought and to find out what I made with some of the products shown.
- Green seedless grapes
- Voskos Plain Greek Yogurt
- Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt–Toasted Coconut Vanilla
- Yoplait Greek Blended Yogurt–Strawberry Raspberry and Pineapple
- Marketside–Baby Spinach
- Marketside–Mixed Spring Salad
- Dole–Iceberg Lettuce
- 100% Whole Wheat bread
- Sargento–Ultra Thin Sliced Provolone Cheese
- Sargento–Ultra Thin Sliced Colby-Jack Cheese
- Weight Watchers–Whipped Reduced Fat Cream Cheese Spread
- Frigo Cheese Heads–Light String Cheese
- 100% Egg Whites
- Little Lender’s–Plain Bagels
- Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh–Slow Roasted Roast Beef
- Oscar Mayer The One Pounder–Oven Roasted Shaved White Turkey
- Chicken Breast
- Perdue–Fresh Ground Turkey
- Butterball–Thin & Crispy Turkey Bacon, Original
I know some of the things I bought are not exactly the pillars of healthy food, but they are a lot better than most of the things I’d normally buy. It’s all about living and learning. I do expect to make better selections and I’m open to any suggestions.
With the ground turkey, lettuce, tomato, plain yogurt, and avocado (my added touch) I made the Skinnytaste.com Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps. They are delicious. I’m not much of a cook, but I can follow a recipe pretty well and these are so easy to make. These are very popular with my family when I make them. Not enough can be said about them. In case it’s not clear, I do recommend making these and visiting her website. She has hundreds of recipes, many that I will make and share here. Speaking of sharing, sorry for not providing any pictures of the taco wraps. We were really hungry and didn’t bother to take any, but there is one on the recipe page.
Until next time,
*Anything without a link was a generic product from Wal-Mart or did not have a brand name.
- Creamy Acorn Squash Pasta (gracelandia.wordpress.com)
- Healthy Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe: Turkey Salad Sandwich (carlyscleancuisine.wordpress.com)
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wrap (redtri.com)
- Quick and Easy Meals (laurenliveshealthy.com)
- Staying on Track at Work (angandvgetfit.wordpress.com)