The other night, I celebrated my little anniversary and had a lovely dinner for the occasion. On the cover of the March issue of Family Circle , there is a visually appealing meal and I knew I just had to make it. Normally, Family Circle does not include low carb recipes, so I didn’t get my hopes up as I flipped through to the recipe. After reading the nutritional value of this meal I was surprised to see that it was in fact low carb! I was ecstatic! 😀 With only 7 grams of carbs and 225 calories per serving, this recipe can fit any lifestyle.
Here it is:
Now, I made the mistake of not reading the entire recipe list before making this and I failed to buy lemon pepper. I don’t know how that effected the taste, but I think my version, without the lemon pepper, turned out delicious. You can skip the lemon pepper or you can add it — I’m confident it’ll be good either way. Here’s the recipe:
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, trimmed
- 4 slices of bacon, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pkg (24 oz) Italian-style chicken breast cutlets (such as Perdue Perfect Portions) or 1 pkg plain chicken breast cutlets plus 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 can (14.5 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 (small) lemon, cut into wedges
- Heat 1/2 inch of water in a skillet. Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes. Drain and rinse in cool water to stop cooking.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8 minutes. Remove to paper towels. Discard all but 1 tbsp of the drippings.
- Season chicken with black pepper (I also seasoned it with Adobo). If using plain chicken (I did), sprinkle with lemon pepper (I didn’t). Cook chicken in hot drippings over medium heat for 3 minutes. Turn over and cook 4 minutes more. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Whisk together broth and flour. Add to skillet and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add chicken and asparagus. Cook 2 to 3 minutes over medium-low heat until chicken is cooked through (165°)* and asparagus is warm. Squeeze lemon wedges over dish and sprinkle with bacon.
- Servings: 5
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 83 mg
- Sodium: 661 mg
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2 g
- Sugars: N/A
- Protein: 31 g
This recipe can stand alone as is. You do not need to pair it with anything. I love my greens so I paired it with a small salad, but I would not have minded mashed cauliflower or even mashed potatoes. I loved the lemon flavor and the bacon brought everything together. It seriously made this dish. I’m a huge fan of asparagus, but if you’re not, that’s fine. The asparagus is not essential to this recipe and I like that flexibility. If you choose to remove the asparagus, the total carb will go down.
Please, please make this! We had this and there were no leftovers! If you choose to make this, please let me know what you think and if you did anything differently. The only thing I’d change is the quantity of bacon. Somehow, four pieces just didn’t seem like enough. I mean it’s bacon! 😀 I’d make this with no less than 5 slices next time.
Until next time,
*I did this in step three and just cooked the chicken and asparagus until warm.